There are a lot of ways to increase your website conversion rate and convert more visitors into customers. If you have been trying out some of them, you should probably know by now that the most effective way to get more leads is an exit intent pop up.
What is Exit-Intent technology?
Exit Intent technology tracks mouse movements of website visitors and detects when a visitor is about to leave the site without making leaving his/her information or buying anything.
Exit intent technology is used to capture more leads and reduce cart abandonment
by showing a popup or a widget once the courser of the visitor leave the frame of the site.
Exit-Intent technology on mobile
What happens when there is no courser, like in mobile devices and tablets?
Here at Poptin we developed a exit intent solution for it:
When a visitor came to your landing page and tries to click “back” to go to the previous page (let’s say Google SERP results), the exit popup will show up.
Why do Exit-Intent pop-ups work?
There are a few reasons why exit intent overlays work so well:
- When a visitor decides to leave the website, his/her mind is clear for the next task. This is the perfect moment to catch their attention and show them an irresistible offer.
- When you show visitors a popup in the middle of the screen, they have to make a choice. They have no distractions – they can engage with the popup and leave their information, or close the popup.
- Mostly you won’t offer the same thing in your landing page as in your exit popup. If the visitor didn’t convert in your page, you would probably offer something with a different CTA (call to action) or with higher value to catch him/her while hesitating.
When should you use exit pop-ups?
If you target the right pages and the right audience, exit intent overlay can be a great opportunity to show a special offer of your service or product to your visitors.
Exit popup window works very well in landing pages, commercial websites and online eCommerce stores.
Here is one scenario: A visitor came to your online store and added a few products to the cart in a few minutes. Then he started the checkout process and right before he insert his credit cart information, he decided to wait for a deal with a better price or his daughter just called him about the email she sent and distracted him from completing the purchase.
With an exit intent popup you can save abandoned carts like this one and increase your revenue by 20%-30%. In the following paragraphs we will show you a study case about exit popup in a landing page.
An Exit-Intent case study
How Poptin helped to cut lead cost by more than 50%
The campaign discussed in this case study was for a local Israeli robot vacuum cleaner brand (hereafter referred to as “Robot Brand”). The experiment was conducted during the second quarter of 2017 (April-June), and the data was compared to the second quarter of 2016.
The goals of this experiment were crystal clear, and Poptin was basically used to increase conversion rate substantially. Keep in mind that the Robot Brand was in a crowded market with fierce competitors such as IRobot, therefore advertising costs were definitely not getting any cheaper from 2016 to 2017. The Robot Brand had to use all possible means to increase its conversion rate.
During the second quarter of 2016, the Robot Brand ran an Adwords campaign with a monthly average budget of 2,200 USD for a certain landing page. The landing page for this PPC campaign converted in an average cost of 77 USD per lead. For a total budget of 6,600 USD for the whole quarter, the landing page generated 86 leads.
During the second quarter of 2017 the Robot Brand wanted to use the same landing page, only this time combined with Poptin. The Robot Brand created two poptins and displayed them to visitors using Poptin’s A/B Test feature (same templates were used only with different copy and design):
1. A round shaped poptin targeted to capture the visitors’ attention by its special shape.
2. A timer poptin designed to create urgency, the Robot Brand didn’t offer any discount in the poptin’s copy (this is important because giving a discount itself can increase conversion).
Do you want to create an exit intent popup for your website for free?
Tags: exit intent, exit intent overlay, exit intent pop up, exit intent popup, exit intent technology, exit popup, exit popup window