Are you looking for OptinMonster Alternatives? Then, you landed on the right page. I have tried all OptinMonster alternatives, and I’m here to save you the time you need for research.
This blog is specifically written to give you an unfiltered and honest review of Optinmonster & its alternatives.
In this blog, I’ll share the following:
- Criteria to choose a lead magnet/popups
- The good, bad & ugly of OptinMonster
- 3 best OptinMonster Alternative
At the end, I’ll share the comparison table that will help you further and save you time.
Criteria to choose a lead magnet/popups
You’re choosing a lead magnet with a sole purpose to convert website visitors or engage with them.
These are the criteria you should definitely look before choosing a lead magnet.
- It should be easy to use, and make changes.
- Changing colors, sizing and fonts to match your brand should be easily done with those popups.
- When you’re deciding for popup apps, do look at mobile responsiveness. Many popups apps are good with websites but not good with mobile responsiveness.
- Integrations with the key email marketing tools such as MailChimp, ConvertKit, and Autopilot, etc.
- Must have features when you’re choosing a lead magnet:
- Exit-intent technology for the right triggers
- Scroll & time-based technology to trigger at the right time
- Advanced targeting tools such as:
- Target by traffic source (search engines, social networks etc.)
- Target by specified dates and time of day
- Show on specific website pages
- Show to new or returning visitors
- Control frequency of display to each visitor
- Ready-made templates: Many people like ready-made nice looking templates that could help them immediately put the popup live without designing.
- Different kinds of popups: Not all of those popups works similarly on each page. Hence, you need different kinds of popups such as:
- Top and bottom bars
- Poptins specially designed for mobile
- Full-screen Poptins
- A/B Testing: Marketing isn’t done well if you have not done A/B testing. It is indeed a must-have feature for marketers to know which popup, copy, images and messaging are working better.
- Analytics: You should be able to analyze and understand how different popups are performing based on different pages, triggers and more. Without analytics a popup app is incomplete.
- Inline Forms: Inline forms are a subtle way of asking for emails without disrupting the user experience.
The Good, Bad & Ugly of OptinMonster
OptinMonster is a great lead magnet. They’ve recently updated their UI with analytics.
OptinMonster has exit-intent technology, Geo-location targeting, Coupon wheel option, and inactivity sensor. The best part is that you have sub-accounts and you can host multiple websites under one. Also, it has Shopify, WordPress and Google Tag Manager platform integrations.
It does not have a free trial or free version. In the age of extreme competition, I’d love to have a free trial to get a feel of it.
Moreover, the templates provided by Optin Monster aren’t so sexy. They’re pretty standard, and I’d love to get some nice templates. Also, the custom branding is only removed in their highest packaging. I expect the custom branding to immediately be removed if I become a paid customer.
OptinMonster does not have great support and sometimes it takes weeks to actually fix a problem. I hate the fact that I need to wait 24 hours to resolve a small issue. Moreover, it’s not the easiest to use, it takes a learning curve to know the platform. It might have huge customization features but the platform does not help you to figure out those custom features, and how to use them on your own.
One more thing, the basic plan in the pricing does not include some key features like A/B testing, Inline forms, location-based triggering, and device targeting.
Lastly, the lack of personalization and human support is something I miss.
Hope this helps you to understand why you need to look at OptinMonster Alternatives.
Poptin – The Smart Popup Tool (Free)
I’ve been using Poptin and I’m pretty satisfied with it. Here are some reasons why:
Poptin Feature Overview
Interface: It’s the easiest to use for non-programmers
Customer Support: They have a live chat and my problems are resolved immediately.
Pricing: Free for some, then starts at $19/month (the best part)
They have all the features I need without compromising the basic features such as A/B testing, Inline forms, location-based & device triggering.
Talking about the features, you can see all the features available in the free plan here.
Poptin has all the Integrations such as:
- MailChimp Integration
- Constant Contact Integration
- iContact Integration
- Hubspot Integration
- Nutshell Integration
- Zapier Integration
- Poptin has more than 40+ integrations. More information on it is here 👉 Poptin Integrations
Why Poptin is a better OptinMonster Alternative?
Here are some of the top of the mind points for you:
- It’s easier and faster to use
- Poptin puts a priority on customer support
- Poptin has a FREE plan
- Poptin has all the basic features compared to OptinMonster
- Their interface is modern and intuitive
- It has various of different templates for any purpose
- Poptin supports marketers and digital agencies
- You can add any number of domains
- You can use a popup with poptin without opt-in too (OptinMonster does not let you do that).
- Accessibility – Poptin popups have auto-focus, accessibility aria tags, ready for screen readers, and etc.
- You can treat the mobile version differently than the website version.
Hope this helps you to make your decision better. I’ll add a comparison table at the end to further help.
In the meanwhile, if this convinces you then try Poptin for free
Sumo – The Email List Building Tool (Free)
Sumo is probably as old as OptinMonster.
Sumo is also very user-friendly and has a good design flexibility. They divide popups based on goals and have manual mode offers granular control over form visibility.
The great thing about Sumo is also that you can start using it for free.
Click-trigger popup is amazing because it waits for the user behavior. I love that Sumo feature.
Focus on User behaviour and activity type of features are nice.
How many integrations do they have in the free plan? Many features are unclear on their pricing which you only understand once you subscribe.
The design editor takes a little bit of time to understand, and only a few integrations are available in the free plan. You will quickly outgrow the free plan.
They call “smart-mode” feature which is only exit intent, so advanced triggering is not available in the free plan. Also, A/B testing kind of basic feature is not available in the free plan.
They do have better customer support than OptinMonster.
You should choose Sumo if:
- You are okay with basic integrations
- You’re looking for the free or cheaper alternative of OptinMonster
- You do not need A/B testing or advanced trigger (Poptin is way better here)
- Accessibility and mobile versions are not a priority
- If you need a simple tool with various types of popups
- Limited designs
- If you want a simple tool that helps you with basic user triggers and support
Since Sumo uses the freemium model, you’ll have access to all their tools, but there will obviously be several restrictions, such as:
- 200 subscribers limit
- Limited templates
- Basic email integrations
- Basic email support (no live support)
- Basic visitor targeting
- Less control over the design
Some of the other cool features they have such as Heatmap, image sharer & highlighter, and discovery app for me are nice to have.
Sumo is a good Optinmonster alternative. It’s great for content marketing and list building.
Perhaps, this helps you to choose a better alternative.
Sleeknote – The Enterprise Ready Popup Software
Sleeknote probably has the best website design of all. It’s even more, feature-rich, and must have more integrations than OptinMonster.
Sleeknote gives you several use-cases to use such kind of popups like the image below:
Sleek is definitely focused more on E-commerce Marketers. So, if you have a huge amount of visitors then look no further. Sleeknote is your answer.
Also, their pricing page validates the same assumption.
Why Sleeknote is a better alternative than OptinMonster?
I could come up with probably hundreds of reasons, but here are some:
- Sleeknote performance comparison & goal tracking are advanced features that nobody has
- It has the biggest amount of templates out there
- More customizable templates and popup positioning
- You can show teasers and social proof
- It has interactive elements such as radio buttons and dropdowns
- It has the most amount of customizable elements to add
- It has the biggest amount of triggering and segmenting features
- It has the most number of integrations
If you’re a small business or an agency, then you probably won’t need that many features.
There’s no freemium model but you do have 7 days trial for all features.
However, it’s one of the best contenders in terms of features as OptinMonster Alternatives.
As promised, here’s the table below to give you an overview.
To Sum Up
All the tools have different features, market, persona and benefits. If you’re considering an OptinMonster alternative, then here are the reasons to choose these tools:
- Poptin: A free tool, feature-rich, 40+ integrations, the best customer support, and beautiful templates.
- Sumo: A free tool, limited features and subscribers, easy to use and basic integrations.
- Sleeknote: Enterprise software for E-commerce marketers with all the features possible and high website traffic companies.
If someway or the other, this article has convinced you to try Poptin – Give Poptin a Try. It’s free and your first 1000 views are on us.
Tags: alternatives to optinmonster, optinmonster, optinmonster alternative, optinmonster alternatives